one day where we will live

one day where we will live

Saturday, November 13, 2010

I suck

I suck.

Ok, I don’t really think that way about myself. I have too much self-confidence to actually think I suck. But in the sense of accomplishing the work-thing with this travel job from home? Yeah, I honestly do suck at that!

I tried it and I could manage the training around the kids. It was never for too many hours at a time and I tried to arrange it for the early morning hours before the oldest two were awake at least.

Far too often though, the lack of professionalism from this travel company I had so graciously been given a job opportunity with, irked me a wee bit too much. They would tell me they would phone at 7am (my time) which was 10am for them…I even offered to be ready for 6am here as I knew they started their days in Toronto at 830am or 9am. I was ready. But they never seemed to be. There were many false starts, or late starts, and glossed over apologies from the woman training me or the computer tech. It has been a rare occasion for anything I have been doing with this company to be on time at all. And that throws my entire household off! Why is there no consideration given for that? Is my time as a housewife (ahem, "wife" to the children only right now!!) and mother of so little consequence to them? Why was I not paid for all my hours of “standing by” and waiting for them??

Originally I was not looking to go into travel sales. I wanted to handle customer complaints with my kick ass letter writing skills. I had even sent some samples of my work with letters handling complaints in customer service to see if they could put me in that type of position. I could easily work around the children by doing writing at my own pace and am sure I could handle dozens of complaint letters during the course of a shift. But unfortunately, this company only needed internet “sales” travel agents to be ready to answer the phone which rings non-stop on an regular, eight hour shift.

As much as I want to jump into the travel game again, and as much as I want to have access again to free or discounted travel, I feel it is not worth what it will take away from the children by means of my time and efforts within their lives each day.

Loads of parents put their children in daycare every day so they can work to put food on the table. Thankfully, I am not in that position. And from my earlier blogs on here, I have already been very clear on how I feel about parents who CHOOSE to work and put their kids into daycare. Regardless of putting food on the table, there are always other options to keep you nearer your children, and it comes down to choice and what you value the most in this world. Parents who choose to work generally won’t admit this though and instead play the “I have no choice” card.

I am all for parents not losing themselves and continuing their careers despite having children…but not until the child is old enough to have their own life within school or some other outside learning stimulus.

So as for me, well, I tried. I failed and sucked at the challenge but at least I tried. How else can you know if you suck at something if you don’t give it a try first?

Always try. Sucking is optional. :)

2 comments:

Q. Public said...

You're wrong. It's not really a choice for some of us. Things are ''tight'' and we need to provide for our families. Not all of us have the option, or moral dysfunction to leech off our aging mothers, and scam every system out there. I think you forgot an 'N' in your name metal mum.

Metal Queen Mum said...

Wow, harsh words.

Things are tight. Do you drive a car? Smoke? Drink? Are there any of these items you could live without so your life is not so tight and your time is better spent with your children or aging parents? Just a thought...

Leeching off my aging mum...scamming systems...? It constantly astounds me what some people choose to believe.

I guess those are the people who would rather see me in a low rental apartment, subjecting my children to the lowest social situations in this country, and my mum in a care home. Hmm. Is that correct to assume?

We are all pretty happy with our situation...me, my mum, the kids. We have a happy home and the children are at the center of our world and we focus on creativity and love, going after your dreams and staying true to who you are.

So why do you condemn? Is it because of something you lack within yourself?

Bring it, haters.

Up the irons. ;)