one day where we will live

one day where we will live

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Crossroads

Crossroads. Whenever I hear that name I think of the movie. No, not the Britney Spears one. Go back. Further. This movie is the 1980's Crossroads where a young, hot Ralph Macchio played a blues guitarist on a journey. Due to axe-wizard/David Lee Roth discovery Steve Vai playing the devil's advocate in the movie, all the guitar heroes I hung out with, jammed with (or slept with!) on the Moncton music scene, made it almost a personal rite-of-passage to have seen this movie. Which is how I had the pleasure of getting to see that great, underrated film.

But the crossroads I stand at today is real and not a movie. Real life. Which is far more dramatic and has more devils and their advocates than any movie.
I have to make a decision about my children, for my children regarding their future with the local school.

A few months ago, I made a mistake at my son's school, the local school, a ten minute walk from home. I got too involved, I said too much, I revealed too much of myself to far too many too close to home. I have done this before. And I react the same way everytime. I coccoon. I rarely go out, I dream of the future and travelling, I isolate myself for a bit. During my coccoon process I like to think long and hard about what lessons I have learned to get to this place and how I can prevent it from happening again. Looking at past crossroads is a great help to remind me of which path to take and what happens when you don't choose wisely...

1.Redneck Hell - I got out but barely. That was a bad, bad place. I learned I have family I now know I never want to know beyond a friendly Xmas card, ever, ever again. I learned a valuable lesson from Redneck Hell but it was a roller coaster ride which ended with a crossroads. Which took us to...

2. England - I had the right vision but not enough of the means! To be fair, I was pregnant so my brain was not functioning to the best of my ability. But I did not arrange that properly for my 80+ year old mum and her needs and I will never make THAT mistake again. And I think I clearly have maintained her needs much, much better after that mistake for which I am proud of myself. Anyway, returning from England to Redneck Hell was insanely hard. That was walking right back into the hornets nest I had left behind and thankfully I was able to gather my wits about me and be strong enough to get us out of there as fast as possible!!

But that sure does tell me something. My son going back to the school I removed him from is a good idea in theory. But in reality, returning to a place of toxicity does not make good sense. It would be poor judgement and I need to not take that fork in my current personal crossroads.

In hindsight, I simply should have gone further afield and tried harder to find the right accommodation before giving into mum's fears and returning to Redneck Hell. That was the wrong choice. Steve Vai would have won that round!
It is so good to self-analyze and be sure of yourself and what your inner voice already is telling you. I think the key is to LISTEN to that inner voice a little more.

The next crossroads came after getting away as fast as possible from Redneck Hell (7 months pregnant, time running out!!) and arriving in..
3. Vancouver Island - it is so pretty there. The motorcycle mechanic job my ex husband started working at sounded promising. The house we found to rent was cute and had a granny cottage for my mum and she joined us not long after we arrived due to the continued strife she faces when she stays with my sister.

This is where my crossroads starts going a bit more personal and for now I will simply say the next series of moves/crossroads in life all had to do with a main member of our family, DADDY, and my lifelong battle with the mistress I cannot compete against no matter how many fancy organic products I use on my skin, no matter how much of a positive outlook I have and no matter how great a childhood I strive to give these children, I am simply no competition for his mistress of over 20years, Ms. Mary Jane. I totally know how Princess Diana must have felt over Camilla. :)

But now I face a new crossroads...one for my children this time because we are already in the AD zone (After Daddy).

So at the end of September this year, I removed my son from school here. As I said earlier I became too involved, revealed too much of myself and my personal politics, and just basically disturbed my personal chi too close to home. And it trickled down to my son and he was unable to settle in school. Or maybe his agitated feelings at the new school bounced onto me and caused my own friction-filled angst with all the parents, etc. For whatever reasons now, and following all that transpired during the end times for us and our association with our local school, I firmly believe that both myself and my son will remain unaccepted in that environment if we returned. I believe I could possibly push through the hostility though. If I conformed and got my son assessed (as so many wanted instead of seeing him for the bright, creative, imaginative spark he is!) and fell in line with the school politics and didn't say a peep or ruffle any feathers, then perhaps we could overcome all the damage done, and my son and his younger siblings could have a positive school life here. But what would that do to me? To my personal integrity and well-being? Is it possible for me to give my children a wonderful school experience elsewhere? Can I find my son the school niche that he has yet to find to fit into?

Homeschooling is not enough stimulation for him. But going back to our local school would be a decision of poor judgement unless I am prepared to conform and put my own feelings aside for potentially many, many years. Do I want to face criticism for every trip I take or every non status quo decision I make? Not really.
So this crossroads is clear to me.

Do not go near Steve Vai. Let him solo his heart out but do not go down the path that is paved with spandex. Look to the sun, the glittering gold shining brightly off the ocean's ripples...look to the warmth of a brighter tomorrow, a more challenging set of hurdles to bring the goals into focus. Because once the butterfly emerges from the coccoon, the brilliance and wonder of the difficult birth outshines all troubled tatters of the shell left behind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"then perhaps we could overcome all the damage done, and my son and his younger siblings could have a positive school life here. But what would that do to me? To my personal integrity and well-being? "

I thought ''it'' wasn't ultimatly about you? Sounds quite selfish, and hypocritical to me.

Metal Queen said...

How is it ultimately about me? Is it selfish to not want to conform? So those who refuse to conform are selfish? Those who refuse to adhere to the status quo, are selfish?

I was being honest. Do I want my children to see a broken mother, falling in line with a bunch of narrow minded, right-wing idiots? and if you read my whole post, you would also realize in order to conform and give up my personal integrity, it would also mean getting my son tested and staying in line with all those ridiculous labels that all the mainstreamers want him to have. So yes, in my blog I did sat I could overcome certain hurdles but is it worth it?
Not in the long run.

And if that makes me selfish, oh well. But I am definitely NOT a hypocrite.

Anonymous said...

I think you sound like a hypoocrite for sure. You sit there typing your rant about stupid, working mums and how selfish they are yet YOU refuse to let your kids go to school and have a full and wonderfull experince because YOU are not willing to put aside YOUR feelings for theirs. Your stealing presiouse memories and tims from your child who wants to be in school, and would benifit from it more than being at home with you. You've already projected some of the worst diusiions onto them and will raise childern afraid to speak their minds...or to speak their minds and stick around even if their argument was flawed. Cowards.

Also it just sound like your afraid to get your child assessed, for fear of having a child with a lable, NOT because it wont help you help that child learn and develope. Your afraid of having the child with ADD Or personality disorders, you'd rather ignore it and HOPE that he doesn't turn out like DAD. Hypocrasy at it's best. Your best interests are not the best interests of your childern.

Metal Queen said...

When did I say working mothers were stupid? I just do not agree with their choice to work when their children are little, that's all. I don't think it is right, and that is my opinion.

I am not refusing to let my kids go to school. Did you even read my blog properly? Go back and read again. :)

I pulled my kids from our local school due to conditions I could not morally agree with and I think I already summed that up.

How would my child have precious memories from a school that is toxic for him? And for his mum?

I have said homeschooling is not enough for him and I am looking into different options...is there something wrong with constantly striving to better your children's lives within the education scope so that they get the BEST education experience possible??

Not all kids can fit into the box that the majority of our society expects them to adhere to. And it is our job as parents to find an alternative for them, no matter what.

Sadly, not many parents want to experience personal discomfort for the sake of their child and would rather fall in line with whatever society tells them to do.

It would be massive personal discomfort for me to return my child to his previous school. And the only way he would be happy there is if I conformed and fell in line with what was expected there.

HOWEVER, it is also personal discomfort to take a bus every single day to get him to a better school but if that is what is best for him, then no problem, then so be it.

But at least within that personal discomfort it is for the greater good of the child...whereas returning to the toxic school would be hypocritical to who I am and who I want my child to grow to be. :)

And my children are far from repressed from any of my projections. I have taught them very well how to speak up for what is right and good and anyone who knows my son, knows exactly how vocal and opinionated he can be. Without fear. And he was happy to leave the school because he was rarely treated very well there. His artistic nature was not indulged and he received more criticism than encouragement. Socially and scholary both. Not exactly a breeding ground for good memories.

By leaving the school, it taught him that once you have stood up for your beliefs, you walk away from negativity and anger and oppression. You hold your head high and you remove yourself from anyone or anything that serves only to bring your life down or not enhance it in any way, shape or form. We did not leave at the first sign of trouble. We endured an entire year of disgusting treatment and when it climaxed in a nasty way, that was it. I think we both showed amazing strength to carry on at the school as long as we did.

Sounds like you sit on the conformity bandwagon. Also sounds like you believe the masses who preach that kids need to be assessed if they go against the grain in any way.

I have had many well educated people spend time with my son and they laugh at the ridiculous notion that my child with an artistic brain would be told he needs any assessments. If I felt he had any real issues or disabilities I would be all over it. But that is not the case.

Assessments are just the latest trend and a good way for lazy parents or teachers to pass the buck.

And since my children are not going to be subjected to the abusive, drug-filled life Daddy had when he was growing up, I find it highly unlikely my children will turn out anything like him. He destroyed his own life, he was not born that way.