one day where we will live

one day where we will live

Friday, January 2, 2015

Backstage 101...part 4



Growing up singing in bands in my hometown of Moncton, Iron Maiden were a premiere band on the heavy metal scene, and like my band, every kid who rocked in a band knew how to play Maiden. Bruce Dickinson was one of my favourite vocalists to emulate given his operatic style and powerful range filled with spine tingling vibrato. I loved that I had the vocal ability to match Bruce note for note and it earned me much respect from my fellow musicians, especially the male ones. Unlike today’s music scene, my niche as a female rock singer in the Moncton music world was practically a solo affair. But there was one other stand-out girl singer rocking the band scene in Moncton besides myself, a girl named Donna. She had a good, strong voice with a penchant for fashion that dwarfed my own attempts to find a good stage look. We knew all the same people and became close friends, united as the lone two girls trying to keep up with a male-dominated scene. Of course I always thought I was better than she was, and she probably felt the same way about me. We definitely shared a rivalry, but it was a friendly rivalry. Often we compared singing styles and although we tried not to cover the same songs, we both did our share of Iron Maiden. And we both gushed together over the fantastic vocal work of Bruce. We were not girls lusting after this band for anything other than the music.

So when I found out that Iron Maiden were scheduled to play in Toronto and I began to devise my backstage plans and research, I knew right away that I wanted to bring Donna with me. I didn’t often invite her to concerts with me under my various guises, but not because I didn’t want to; she just was not in my close friendship circle at the time. By 1992, she too had moved to Toronto and although we saw each other occasionally, we were not as close as we had been back in our Moncton band days. But she was more than happy to accept my invitation and come with me to the Maiden show when I called to confirm with her that I had snagged tickets and passes, courtesy of their lovely tour manager and a story I had concocted about previously partying with them in Moncton during their 1988 tour.

It had been an easy score in every way. I had been patched through to the backstage area on show day from a very naive box office receptionist and immediately found myself talking to their tour manager, the exact person I had planned on asking for. He just happened to pick up the production line and, lucky for me, was in a great mood and chatted me up enthusiastically. He left me three tickets and passes for the show at the Will Call window at the venue so I took Donna and William, the guitarist for my band. He was also a massive fan of Iron Maiden so was thrilled at this treat.
The show was amazing and afterwards we headed backstage, very excited to actually be meeting these Gods of Rock who we once practiced for hours to. There were a lot of people back there, it was a huge meet and greet. No wonder their tour manager had been fine with handing out freebies, it looked more like a fan convention than a typical backstage crowd.

I turned suddenly as I heard a familiar voice call out my name, “Gill! Hey! Great to see you back here! Weren’t Corrosion Of Conformity amazing!?” It was Amy, a groupie friend of mine who I had met through the backstage circuit about a year previously. She obviously had not come to see Maiden.
“Well, I wasn’t really paying attention to them, I think I was wandering around when they were on stage!” I had never been a fan of C.O.C. and I was surprised to find Amy was. It turned out she wasn’t though, not of the music anyway.
“I am sleeping with the drummer!” she squealed excitedly to me, shaking her new C.O.C. shirt at me for dramatic effect. “I just went to grab some of Maiden’s free booze to take back to C.O.C.’s bus….I am going on the road with them!” she was in her glory and I was pleased for her but I could not imagine ever doing such a thing! Or even being in a position to have the chance to do such a thing! The night was still young though. Amy gave me a hug and dashed off to be with her latest musician conquest, while Donna, William and I peered around the backstage area through the sea of people, trying to see if any of the guys from Maiden had come out yet.

After a long wait, Bruce Dickinson finally appeared and began signing autographs for a long queue of fans. We hung back a bit, not wanting to rush up and be too eager, and eventually we got our chance to say hello, have an autograph and a photo. Both Donna and I were not happy with how cocky and rude Bruce came across. We had not expected that from one we admired so much! He didn’t even have the time of day for any of our music related questions! It was a true let down from one we so admired. We hoped the other members would be nicer.

We had a much better time chatting with Maiden’s bassist Steve Harris and guitarist Dave Murray. They were really nice, more of what we had hoped for from a band that was such an inspiration to us. After all the chatting, picture taking and autographs were said and done, Donna, William and I began discussing leaving and we were just looking around, wondering which way was out, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to face a road crew member who looked somewhat important. Oh no, I thought, the tour manager must have discovered my deception! But I couldn’t have been more wrong.
“Excuse me, are you ladies alone?” asked the roadie in a gentle British accent, with a smile. Donna and I looked at each other, not sure what to say. William had wandered over to get another picture with Dave Murray so essentially, at that moment we were alone.
“Um, yes? I guess so…” I stammered uncertainly. “Why?” I thought to myself, there was no way I was going to hang out with some roadies if that is what he was after! Although he wasn’t scruffy looking and didn’t come across like a rough-and-ready-for-groupie-action roadie. He seemed more civilized than that. I wondered who he was.

He smiled warmly. “Well, Steve from the band wondered if you ladies would like to come join us for a drink on the bus once we wrap up things back here?”
I was in complete shock. Donna quickly said, “Yes! Sure! Sounds great!” I also nodded my agreeance and looked over at William…we would have to tell him something. What was this going to involve, I wondered?
“Fantastic! Come on then, this way…” the roadie motioned for us to follow him down a long corridor towards the back of the arena.
“Just a moment,” I said. “I just have to let a friend know we won’t be going home with him after all….be right back!” I left Donna chatting to the roadie and ran over to William to tell him what was up. He was surprised but happy for us and said he would wait outside for a bit and then if we didn’t show up, would find his own way home. I honestly had no idea what I was getting into. When I got back to Donna’s side, we headed out after the roadie, who had introduced himself as the band’s photographer, Ian.
“What happens on the bus, Gill? This is so exciting!” Donna whispered in my ear as she clutched my arm excitedly.
“I have no idea!” I hissed back with wide eyes. “This has never happened to me before!” We both started laughing and I was really glad she was with me for this experience. Two girl rock singers from small town New Brunswick who both covered a myriad of Maiden tunes in their younger years, were now about to party with their musical role models. Only in my wildest dreams. I felt like I had hit the pinnacle of my backstage success.

The bus was gorgeous, an absolute luxury home on wheels. We boarded and took seats around a large table near the front, the obvious gathering spot for visitors. Already, there was a small group sitting there, made up mostly of road crew members, who Ian introduced us to. We sat down and drinks were passed around, and honestly it felt just like we had been invited to a party with a bunch of new friends. Donna and I were both in high spirits, laughing and talking lots about ourselves and our singing experiences, and I didn’t feel as objectified as I thought I might from an invitation to the tour bus.

And then Steve Harris appeared, followed by Nicko McBrain, Maiden’s drummer. We got a bit quiet when they came in, slightly awestruck for a moment. But we’d both had enough to drink to overcome any nervousness we felt and soon the ice was broken and we were chatting away to them too, as though they were just more party guests and not actual members of Iron Maiden! The whole evening was becoming quite surreal indeed…and we both had a lovely glow on from the booze.
Steve Harris was particularly interested in my English background, given his staunch British patriotism. I really enjoyed talking to him about places in England, where I had gone to school and thoroughly immersing myself in all things Iron Maiden with him. Donna meanwhile, was getting very close and cosy with Ian, laughing up a storm and holding him and everyone else attentive with her humorous way of captivating a group. After several drinks, I unsteadily got up and made my way down the hallway of the bus to the small bathroom. I was not at all prepared for Steve Harris to be standing right outside the door when I emerged.
“Hey”, he smiled coyly, “Come on back here…I want to show you my room.” He took my hand and led me further down the narrow bus hallway, past curtained bunks and a small kitchen, to a closed door at the very end.
“My room.” he grinned and opened the door.

A large bed took up most of the room, the edges of which was surrounded by various electronics, both audio and visual related, like stereos, televisions, VCRs, and many shelves of CDs and Videos. He was proud to show it off and I was definitely an appreciative audience. I was more than impressed and tried to imagine what it must be like to have that kind of money and fame. I didn’t for a second think he was having “groupie-esque” thoughts about me and as I looked through his CD collection, I began asking him some detailed Iron Maiden questions. I wanted to know how old he was when he started playing in a band, what inspired him to write certain songs….much of this information I already knew from reading so much about the band but I wanted the thrill of hearing it from the direct source. Unfortunately for me, he had other things in mind. I felt his arms encircle my waist from behind and his lips on my neck. I was so startled I stopped speaking mid-Maiden ramble and turned to face him.
“You remind me of a lovely English schoolgirl,” he murmured. He hadn’t even heard a word I had been saying about the music! He just wanted to get off with me like any other groupie! He had “chosen” me from the backstage crowd and “wanted someone who reminded him of the girls back home”, he informed me between sloppy kisses and rapid groping. Oh how I wish I was at least attracted to him! But I just didn’t see him that way at all. Yet I liked the idea of being with a rock star a little bit. So I went with it. And although he may have enjoyed our 10 minute fumble in his room, on his rock star bed, it didn’t do anything for me. He was the oldest guy I had ever been with! And I kept thinking to myself, he is not only old but he is married too! What am I doing?

When Steve Harris of Iron Maiden was satisfied with me (oh, how I do enjoy being able to say that, even if just for the statement alone!) and we pulled our clothes back on, he told me again how lovely I was and invited me to go to Cleveland with him! Once again, I was in total shock! So this is what all my groupie girlfriends did when they were “chosen” to go off on the road with a band and be of “service” to them for awhile. Until the next one came along anyway. There was something about being “chosen” that just didn’t feel good to me. It definitely went against my sense of control! I told him I needed to talk to Donna and when I emerged from his bedroom, she laughed loudly and said, “And just where have you been?” This made the whole table laugh. She was definitely feeling the alcohol and Ian was doing his best to be feeling her!

I sat down and blushed a bit from the teasing, and then explained to her quietly about the invitation to travel with them to Cleveland. She didn’t look surprised in the least and laughed, telling me that Ian had just asked her the same thing, and she had no idea what to do! We both commiserated over having to work the next day and wondered if we could actually blow off our obligations and hit the road that very night with Iron Maiden! The thought was very exciting indeed but we were sensible girls, not groupies, and after much discussion between ourselves and with Steve and Ian, we concluded that it would not be possible. They even offered to drive us in the tour bus to our apartments to let us run in and gather some things to bring with us! That almost made me say yes, just to see the look on my roommate’s face!

Finally, when we let them know we absolutely could not go, as much as we would like to, they got the word that time was up, and they had to hit the road. It was like a scene out of a crazy rock and roll movie, Donna and I standing in the shadows outside of the bus, each of us in the arms of our momentary Maiden men. I could not believe Steve Harris was looking into my eyes sadly, and asking me to please reconsider, as he gently stroked my face with his fingertips. I truly almost said yes. And I am sure Donna was thinking the same thing as she was kissing Ian goodbye! It was a very difficult decision, and one I regret to this day. I wish so much we would have gone with them! They would have flown us back from Cleveland in style, sent us shopping…who knows what adventures we would have had for a few days of rock road madness!

Donna and I stood together, waving goodbye to the bus as it pulled away. We stood in silence until it was out of sight. And then we both exploded.
“OH MY GOD! What a crazy fucking night!”
“Why didn’t we go with them? What’s wrong with us??”
“I cannot believe what just happened…seriously, were we just dreaming?”
We were both talking at once and jumping up and down, absolutely freaking out. Hands down, this was the absolute climax of my backstage success stories. Although the icing on the cake would have been if we had gone with them! Damn being responsible girls! Damn being sensible! We berated ourselves as we gushed every juicy detail to each other, while walking out of the stadium grounds looking for a taxi. That was one backstage neither of us forgot about in a hurry!

Years later, when I found myself interviewing Steve Harris in Vancouver on the radio with my friend Nardwuar, it was a brilliant moment of confrontation and recollection for me, even if he didn’t show any signs of remembering me at all. I didn’t expect that he would, but he did let me know he was now divorced. It still didn’t make me rush out and want to be with him again though. I was a fan of Iron Maiden in music alone but now would always have a special thought about the bassist, Steve Harris, whenever I saw them in an interview on television or watched their videos.

That was my only occasion to ever have been “chosen” though, and I continued along with my backstage schemes even if I never was requested to join the band on the bus again.

...End of part 4

No comments: